Skip to main content

Kandy · Since 1890

A school onthe hill

One hundred and thirty-six years of educating girls above the Kandy lake.

The Hillwood College main building, stone-built and still in daily use
Welcome to Hillwood

A school withits own weather

Hillwood sits high above the Kandy lake, and the hill decides a great deal about the place — the mist that comes in over the playing fields, the walk up to chapel, the way the whole school hears the same bell.

We have taught girls here since 1890, when Miss Elizabeth Bellerby opened a schoolroom with fourteen students. The buildings have grown since. The intention has not: to educate girls thoroughly, and to send them out steady.

Years on the hill
0Years on the hill
Students enrolled
0Students enrolled
Sections of the school
0Sections of the school
Hillwood students at the Student Christian Movement in the College chapel
Why choose Hillwood?

Small enoughto be known

Every Hillwood girl has a form teacher who knows her name, her subjects and her family. In the Advanced Level section, classes rarely exceed twenty. That is a deliberate limit, held at some cost, because it is the difference between being taught and being noticed.

Two curricula run side by side — the national syllabus and Cambridge International — and students move between them where it serves them. Beyond the timetable, thirty clubs and eight sports are open from Grade 6, and the Shining Star Unit has been part of the school since 1971.

Maximum A/L class size
0Maximum A/L class size
Clubs and societies
0+Clubs and societies
A/L pass rate, 2025
0%A/L pass rate, 2025
What’s on

The Collegeat work

Services, meets, exhibitions and open days. Select any card for the full details.

Gallery

The year,in pictures

All albums
Recent achievements

What the girlshave done